hc-dev mailing list archives

From ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NOTICE and LICENCE file annoyances
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2010 12:47:05 GMT
On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 10:21 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> Sebastian
>
> I investigated the problem with NOTICE file in source jars. It looks
> like the maven-source-plugin treats resources declared in the
> build/resources section of the pom as source files without performing
> keywords expansion, which, sort of, makes sense.
>
> I see several options, but all of them are not pretty
> (1) Do nothing
> (2) Do not use keywords in NOTICE files and end up maintaining a
> different instance of NOTICE per project module
> (3) Raise an issue with Maven developers and try to convince them to
> change the behavior of the plugin
> (4) Build a custom Maven plugin that generates NOTICE and LICENCE
> entries in all jars automatically and end up having to maintain yet
> another project artifact with all the overhead that entails
>
> If you are not willing to live with option (1), I find the whole
> situation annoying to such an extent so I am leaning towards option (4)
>
> Do you have any other ideas?
>
> Oleg

I'm wondering if the name in the NOTICE file really does need to be
customized or if it can be simply "Apache HttpComponents" for
everything. I know its common practice across the ASF to add something
identifying the individual artifacts but i can't find anything in
policy or guides saying that is required, the policy just says "Apache
[PRODUCT_NAME]" - http://apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice

This often goes wrong on other ASF projects i'm involved on so I've
raised a JIRA with legal to clarify -

   ...ant