hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Maven plugin for automatic NOTICE and LICENSE resource generation; was Re: NOTICE and LICENCE file annoyances
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2010 20:11:21 GMT
Folks,

I have the first, very simple, but already quite useful, version of the
maven plugin for automatic NOTICE and LICENSE resource generation.

The plugin can traverse the project hierarchy upwards and pick up NOTICE
and LICENSE files at the level they are defined. That is, different
modules within the same project can have different licenses / notice. If
undefined on the current project level, resources of the parent project
will be used.

Please note the plugin does not use keywords expansion when generating
NOTICE files. It simply strips away the first two lines and re-generates
them based on parameters in the pom descriptor. This way the source
NOTICE file remains complete and fully readable even when copied with
the source distribution

You can find the plugin code here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/maven-notice-plugin/trunk/

I also created a branch in the HttpClient project to test the plugin. I
personally think the project metadata looks cleaner and conciser with
all NOTICE and LICENSE specific stuff gone.

Please have a look

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpclient/branches/notice-plugin-test/

And here comes the main question

Do we need a formal release vote in order to publish the plugin to the
official ASF repository, even though it is not going to be distributed
as a source tarball (official ASF release)?

Oleg