hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: NOTICE and LICENCE file annoyances
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2010 13:14:06 GMT
On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 13:47 +0100, ant elder wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 10:21 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> > Sebastian
> >
> > I investigated the problem with NOTICE file in source jars. It looks
> > like the maven-source-plugin treats resources declared in the
> > build/resources section of the pom as source files without performing
> > keywords expansion, which, sort of, makes sense.
> >
> > I see several options, but all of them are not pretty
> > (1) Do nothing
> > (2) Do not use keywords in NOTICE files and end up maintaining a
> > different instance of NOTICE per project module
> > (3) Raise an issue with Maven developers and try to convince them to
> > change the behavior of the plugin
> > (4) Build a custom Maven plugin that generates NOTICE and LICENCE
> > entries in all jars automatically and end up having to maintain yet
> > another project artifact with all the overhead that entails
> >
> > If you are not willing to live with option (1), I find the whole
> > situation annoying to such an extent so I am leaning towards option (4)
> >
> > Do you have any other ideas?
> >
> > Oleg
> >

> I'm wondering if the name in the NOTICE file really does need to be
> customized or if it can be simply "Apache HttpComponents" for
> everything. I know its common practice across the ASF to add something
> identifying the individual artifacts but i can't find anything in
> policy or guides saying that is required, the policy just says "Apache
> [PRODUCT_NAME]" - http://apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice
>
> This often goes wrong on other ASF projects i'm involved on so I've
> raised a JIRA with legal to clarify -
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-84
>
>    ...ant

It would still be handy to have the copyright clause generated
automatically using the inception date from the pom and the current date

---
Copyright [yyyy] The Apache Software Foundation
---

I'll invest a few hours into trying to put together a simple Maven
plugin and see how far I am going to get.

Cheers

Oleg