hc-dev mailing list archives

From James Abley <james.ab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: roadmap for caching module
Date Tue, 28 Sep 2010 22:09:35 GMT
On 27 September 2010 19:12, Moore, Jonathan <Jonathan_Moore@comcast.com>wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> After an email exchange with Oleg, I wanted to identify a bit of a
> roadmap for the caching module in HttpClient 4.1.X. Primarily this is an
> exercise to identify all the things we'd like to do as a way to think
> about whether the current class design can easily accommodate them or
> not. As we are trying to get the 4.1 release through to GA, it will be
> good to understand how the public API of the caching module might or
> might not change.
>
> At this point, we've gotten the caching module to the point where I
> believe we can call it 'HTTP/1.1 conditionally compliant' (implements
> all the MUSTs and MUST NOTs from RFC 2616). As such, I think it is
> already in a pretty usable and useful state where folks can begin
> getting value from it. We have unit tests in the
> TestProtocolRequirements that should help guarantee we won't break that
> going forward.
>
> As for upcoming work we'd like to do, I think these can be grouped into
> a few different sections.
>
> PROTOCOL RECOMMENDATIONS
> (These are SHOULD/SHOULD NOT statements from RFC 2616, and will move us
> toward unconditional compliance and hence greater interoperability.
> Eventually we should consider looking through the entire RFC for these
> recommendations for a transparent proxy cache, but for the time being
> I'll focus on those in the caching section (Section 13) and in the
> description for Cache-Control and conditional headers in Section 14).
>
> * send etags of all variants when servicing a 'variant miss' (13.6)
> * support If-None-Match and If-Modified-Since for cache hits (14.25,
> 14.26)
> * support only-if-cached Cache-Control directive (14.9.4)
>
> ALLOWED PROTOCOL FEATURES
> (These are specified as MAY statements in the RFC).
> * support heuristic caching (13.2.2, 13.2.4) including a default
> freshness lifetime; this is in JIRA as HTTPCLIENT-990
> * support byterange requests and partial responses (3.12, 10.2.7,
> 13.5.4, 14.16, 14.27, 14.35)
>
> PROTOCOL EXTENSIONS
> * support RFC 5861 (stale-while-revalidate and stale-on-error); this is
> in JIRA already as HTTPCLIENT-975
>
> PERFORMANCE OPTIMIZATIONS
> * request collapsing: if a request comes in for a resource that is
> currently being revalidated, wait for the result of the other
> revalidation rather than sending another revalidation downstream
>
> We're actually planning to get to some of the "PROTOCOL RECOMMENDATIONS"
> section shortly. RFC 5861 and request collapsing will be interesting as
> they will introduce some asynchrony of operation and hence more
> synchronization trickery, although I think everything else can be
> relatively straightforwardly accommodated in the current design.
>
> Do folks have opinions as to relative priority? I think I've laid them
> out roughly "most desirable" to "least desirable", with the exception of
> [...]
Sounds good.

I have 2 implementations which protect against thundering herd problems when
doing revalidations. These were against 3.x, but I'll talk to the owner of
the code and see whether they're happy for me to contribute something to the
4.x codebase. The code is fairly similar to the Memoization stuff described
in Brian Goetz' Java Concurrency in Practice, if you're interested and if
I'm not allowed to work on it.

Cheers,

James