hc-dev mailing list archives

From Michel Onoff <michel.on...@web.de>
Subject Re: getting the "entity" of a status 304 response
Date Wed, 08 Sep 2010 09:38:55 GMT
On 2010-09-07 21:23, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-09-07 at 18:20 +0200, Michel Onoff wrote:
>> By specification, HTTP response 304 Not Modified has no entity.
>>
>> However, getEntity() on the BasicHttpResponse still returns a non-null
>> entity. Trying to getContent() and read() then blocks. The same happens
>> if one tries to send the response with
>> HttpServerConnection.sendResponseEntity(response).
>>
>> Is this supposed to be correct behavior? In other words, must the
>> programmer be aware of which responses might have an entity? Why can't
>> he rely on the return value of getEntity()?
>>

> Michel,
>
> BasicHttpResponse does not have any protocol specific logic. It is
> merely a bean with properties. It is the responsibility of the protocol
> processor to assign an instance of HttpEntity to the response object if
> a response content is expected.
>
> I am fairly confident the standard HTTP protocol processors handle 304
> Not Modified responses correctly
>
> http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-core-4.0.1/httpcore/xref/org/apache/http/protocol/HttpRequestExecutor.html#290
> http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-core-4.0.1/httpcore/xref/org/apache/http/protocol/HttpRequestExecutor.html#83
>
> What is it exactly you are trying to do and what module (HttpCore,
> HttpCore NIO, HttpClient) are you using?

In fact, I'm using the blocking core directly (http connections,
requests, responses, entities and headers), without using protocol-aware
processors. The idea is to have as few overhead as possible, given that
I'm trying to build a load-balancer which simply forwards requests to
available servers and responses back to the originating clients in the
right order.

I'll have a look at the processors and try to experiment with them to
evaluate if performance still remains reasonable.

Thanks for the explanation
MO