hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HttpConnection thread-safety
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2010 09:31:12 GMT
On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 09:42 +0200, Michel Onoff wrote:

> >> Oleg,
> >>
> >> this assumes that DefaultHttp(Client|Server)Connection (a concrete
> >> implementation) maintains no reading state that could interfere with
> >> writing operations and no writing state that could influence reading
> >> operations.
> >>
> >> Can you confirm that this is the case, before I start with coding?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> MO

> Shouldn't this aspect be documented? I mean, not only in source code but
> in the javadoc as well? After all, the tutorial insists that a
> connection is not fully thread-safe but being full-duplex capable is
> still of big help.
>
> At least, this solves my current concerns.

There are two possibilities, if you feel very strongly about it.

(1) feel free to contribute patches for javadocs and the tutorial. A new
section for the 'Advanced topics' chapter about thread-safe connections
would probably make most sense.

(2) consider contributing your custom implementations of Http(Server|
Client)Connection interfaces to HttpCore