hc-dev mailing list archives

From DELHOSTE Fabrice <Fabrice.DELHO...@gemalto.com>
Subject RE: HttpCore NIO & SSL behind proxy
Date Tue, 06 Jul 2010 23:35:41 GMT

Yes I'm aware of that - not my first time in this list and on this topic.
HTTP gateway pattern (latency, external backend, lot of users, etc) and more, which makes
NIO very relevant.
We were already using Httpclient and now httpcore nio (async client slightly updated from
yours) but I need SSL/proxy support...
From: Oleg Kalnichevski [olegk@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 00:26
To: HttpComponents Project
Subject: Re: HttpCore NIO & SSL behind proxy

On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 23:28 +0200, DELHOSTE Fabrice wrote:
> Thx.
>
> I actually know a bit about the async client tryout. Btw I've also looked to Netty (any
perf idea?) and used Mina in the past years...

> Even if it's helpful to understand what could be this high level package (pool, ...),
I'd like to know more how I could implement/reuse some components for http core nio client
to go first through a simple Http/s proxy (no authent, no chain, ...).

> Http Client supports this in a great seamless approach. Could you please point me into
the right direction if any of this makes sense to reuse for http core nio (i've seen old discussion
in the mailing list but no sample or details so far) ?

> Fabrice

Fabrice

What is the reason you want to be using NIO for client-side HTTP in the
first place? In my experience there is simply no real benefit of using
NIO over classic I/O for HTTP clients. NIO is slower and massively more
complex. It is just not worth it (unless used to manage outgoing
connections inside an HTTP proxy or an HTTP gateway).

Oleg