hc-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Oleg Kalnichevski (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] Commented: (HTTPCLIENT-951) Incorrect handling of InputStreams when connecting to a server that requires authentication
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2010 09:34:00 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-951?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=12881140#action_12881140

Oleg Kalnichevski commented on HTTPCLIENT-951:

> had some spare time, so here are the changes using a connection wrapper. 

Yep. Almost there. I can't help thinking, though, wrapping HttpEntity would probably be somewhat
cleaner. I did not like the idea of wrapping the underlying content stream, but wrapping the
entity should be perfectly fine.

> Are you still interested in the diff to core 4.1 that adds the HTTP_REQ_ENT_CONSUMED
to the context when the entity?

Yes, I am. Please raise a separate issue for this change against HttpCore module.



> Incorrect handling of InputStreams when connecting to a server that requires authentication
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>                 Key: HTTPCLIENT-951
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-951
>             Project: HttpComponents HttpClient
>          Issue Type: Bug
>          Components: HttpClient
>    Affects Versions: 4.0 Final, 4.0.1, 4.1 Alpha1, 4.1 Alpha2
>         Environment: Windows XP, Java 1.6.20
>            Reporter: Thierry Guérin
>             Fix For: 4.1 Alpha3
>         Attachments: httpClient.diff, httpClient4.0.x.diff, httpClient4.1.diff, httpClientTrunk.diff,
httpCore.diff, httpCoreTrunk.Diff, testClientAuthentication.diff
> I'm trying to upload a file to a WebDav server (mod_dav on Apache Web Server 2.2.14)
that has basic (or digest, the result is the same) authentication enabled.
> I'm using the following code:
>         String url = "http://myserver/dir/test2.gif";
>         File file = new File("d:/test2.gif");
>         DefaultHttpClient httpClient = new DefaultHttpClient();
>         HttpPut put = new HttpPut(url);
>         put.setEntity(new InputStreamEntity(new FileInputStream(file), file.length()));
>         URI uri = put.getURI();
>         httpClient.getCredentialsProvider().setCredentials(new AuthScope(uri.getHost(),
>                 getCredentials());
>         put.getParams().setBooleanParameter(CoreProtocolPNames.USE_EXPECT_CONTINUE, true);
>         HttpResponse response = httpClient.execute(put);
>         System.out.println(response.getStatusLine());
> When running the above code, I'm getting a org.apache.http.client.NonRepeatableRequestException:
Cannot retry request with a non-repeatable request entity. I tested both the latest alpha
& the svn head. Doing the same thing in HttpClient 3.1 worked as expected. 
> This could be normal, as I'm using an InputStream that is indeed not repeatable, but
as I'm also using Expect: 100-Continue, the stream shouldn't have been consumed with the first
connection (the one that gets a code 401 from the WebDav server), and only in the second one,
when the credentials are provided.
> The problem is that DefaultRequestDirector.execute doesn't take this into account and
assumes that if a request has been tried once, its associated entity (if any) has been consumed.
> Here's the fix that I came up with:
> Change DefaultRequestDirector.execute so that if the wrapper is an EntityEnclosingRequestWrapper,
it checks if the entity has actually been consumed before throwing a NonRepeatableRequestException.
I'm using the method isStreaming() from HttpEntity, as it's the closest thing to what I was
looking for. Reading the JavaDoc, it could lead to the situation where an entity has started
streaming but has not yet finished, and so is not in a state where it can be used. However
I don't think that's a problem as the javadoc for HttpEntity.getContent() states that it can't
be called two times on a non-repeatable entity, so it's just a matter of when the request
will fail.
> This lead me to also modify InputStreamEntity (from the httpCore project) as it didn't
comply with the javadoc. With these two modifications, The file upload completes successfully.
> I also modified:
>  * TestInputStreamEntity.testBasics() (from the httpCore project) test so that it complies
with getContent()'s Javadoc.
>  * TestDefaultClientRequestDirector.FaultyHttpRequestExecutor because it didn't consume
the entity's content.
> All the tests from both httpCore and httpClient pass.
> I tested both InputStreamEntity and BasicHttpEntity.
> Please keep in mind that I am by no means an httpClient (or http, for that matter) expert,
and these modifications may have some unexpected side-effects that I did not foresee, contain
plain dumb code, or whatever, so it would be great if someone could review my changes and
give their opinion.

This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.

To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@hc.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@hc.apache.org

View raw message