hc-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Thierry Guérin (JIRA) <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] Commented: (HTTPCLIENT-951) Incorrect handling of InputStreams when connecting to a server that requires authentication
Date Mon, 21 Jun 2010 13:18:23 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-951?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=12880817#action_12880817
] 

Thierry Guérin commented on HTTPCLIENT-951:
-------------------------------------------

Oleg,

I'm a bit confused here, as looking at the 4.0.x sources, the code change would be exactly
the same (setting a boolean in the HttpContext during HttpRequestExecutor#doSendRequest, and
changing DefaultRequestDirector to take that into account). Am I missing something?

Still, if you prefer wrapping the HttpClientConnection, I'll look into it, but I'm not sure
I'll have time before mid-July (holidays).

> Incorrect handling of InputStreams when connecting to a server that requires authentication
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: HTTPCLIENT-951
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-951
>             Project: HttpComponents HttpClient
>          Issue Type: Bug
>          Components: HttpClient
>    Affects Versions: 4.0 Final, 4.0.1, 4.1 Alpha1, 4.1 Alpha2
>         Environment: Windows XP, Java 1.6.20
>            Reporter: Thierry Guérin
>             Fix For: 4.1 Alpha3
>
>         Attachments: httpClient.diff, httpClientTrunk.diff, httpCore.diff, httpCoreTrunk.Diff,
testClientAuthentication.diff
>
>
> I'm trying to upload a file to a WebDav server (mod_dav on Apache Web Server 2.2.14)
that has basic (or digest, the result is the same) authentication enabled.
> I'm using the following code:
>         String url = "http://myserver/dir/test2.gif";
>         File file = new File("d:/test2.gif");
>         DefaultHttpClient httpClient = new DefaultHttpClient();
>         HttpPut put = new HttpPut(url);
>         put.setEntity(new InputStreamEntity(new FileInputStream(file), file.length()));
>         
>         URI uri = put.getURI();
>         httpClient.getCredentialsProvider().setCredentials(new AuthScope(uri.getHost(),
uri.getPort()),
>                 getCredentials());
>         put.getParams().setBooleanParameter(CoreProtocolPNames.USE_EXPECT_CONTINUE, true);
>         HttpResponse response = httpClient.execute(put);
>         System.out.println(response.getStatusLine());
> When running the above code, I'm getting a org.apache.http.client.NonRepeatableRequestException:
Cannot retry request with a non-repeatable request entity. I tested both the latest alpha
& the svn head. Doing the same thing in HttpClient 3.1 worked as expected. 
> This could be normal, as I'm using an InputStream that is indeed not repeatable, but
as I'm also using Expect: 100-Continue, the stream shouldn't have been consumed with the first
connection (the one that gets a code 401 from the WebDav server), and only in the second one,
when the credentials are provided.
> The problem is that DefaultRequestDirector.execute doesn't take this into account and
assumes that if a request has been tried once, its associated entity (if any) has been consumed.
> Here's the fix that I came up with:
> Change DefaultRequestDirector.execute so that if the wrapper is an EntityEnclosingRequestWrapper,
it checks if the entity has actually been consumed before throwing a NonRepeatableRequestException.
I'm using the method isStreaming() from HttpEntity, as it's the closest thing to what I was
looking for. Reading the JavaDoc, it could lead to the situation where an entity has started
streaming but has not yet finished, and so is not in a state where it can be used. However
I don't think that's a problem as the javadoc for HttpEntity.getContent() states that it can't
be called two times on a non-repeatable entity, so it's just a matter of when the request
will fail.
> This lead me to also modify InputStreamEntity (from the httpCore project) as it didn't
comply with the javadoc. With these two modifications, The file upload completes successfully.
> I also modified:
>  * TestInputStreamEntity.testBasics() (from the httpCore project) test so that it complies
with getContent()'s Javadoc.
>  * TestDefaultClientRequestDirector.FaultyHttpRequestExecutor because it didn't consume
the entity's content.
> All the tests from both httpCore and httpClient pass.
> I tested both InputStreamEntity and BasicHttpEntity.
>  
> Please keep in mind that I am by no means an httpClient (or http, for that matter) expert,
and these modifications may have some unexpected side-effects that I did not foresee, contain
plain dumb code, or whatever, so it would be great if someone could review my changes and
give their opinion.

-- 
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
-
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@hc.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@hc.apache.org


Mime
View raw message