hc-dev mailing list archives

From Bob Lee <crazybob...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HttpClient in Android
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2010 23:47:14 GMT
On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:

> I wrote to you _twice_ shortly before the final release to ask about your
> opinion whether this could be acceptable for Google or you would rather
> prefer to have those changes reverted. Since I got no response I had no
> other option but to assume that was not important. You went silent and no
> one else from Google approached us.

Ohhhhh... I thought you were talking about the incompatibilities introduced
in beta3, which I think you already fixed. I didn't realize there were more
in an even later release. Here's the list you sent me:

[ERROR] org.apache.http.conn.BasicEofSensorWatcher: Field attemptReuse is
now final
[ERROR] org.apache.http.conn.BasicEofSensorWatcher: Field managedConn is now
final
[ERROR] org.apache.http.impl.client.RoutedRequest: Accessibility of field
request has been weakened from protected to private
[ERROR] org.apache.http.impl.client.RoutedRequest: Accessibility of field
route has been weakened from protected to private
[ERROR] org.apache.http.impl.conn.DefaultClientConnectionOperator: Field
schemeRegistry is now final
[ERROR] org.apache.http.impl.conn.DefaultHttpRoutePlanner: Field
schemeRegistry is now final
[ERROR] org.apache.http.impl.conn.ProxySelectorRoutePlanner: Field
schemeRegistry is now final
[ERROR] org.apache.http.impl.conn.SingleClientConnManager: Field
alwaysShutDown is now final
[ERROR] org.apache.http.impl.conn.SingleClientConnManager: Field
connOperator is now final
[ERROR] org.apache.http.impl.conn.SingleClientConnManager: Field
schemeRegistry is now final
[ERROR] org.apache.http.impl.conn.tsccm.ConnPoolByRoute: Removed field
maxTotalConnections
[ERROR] org.apache.http.impl.conn.tsccm.ThreadSafeClientConnManager: Field
connOperator is now final
[ERROR] org.apache.http.impl.conn.tsccm.ThreadSafeClientConnManager: Field
schemeRegistry is now final
[ERROR] org.apache.http.impl.cookie.BrowserCompatSpec: Accessibility of
field DATE_PATTERNS has been weakened from protected to private

Are these the only incompatibilities with Android? Reverting those changes
would certainly help the Android team get the change through. If that
happens, it should be relatively easy to drop in a new version. I think I
did away with most if not all of the Android-specific changes a long time
ago.

I'd love to see the stale connection checking bug fixed. Oleg, are there
other high profile bugs that you know of?

Thanks,
Bob