hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HttpClient in Android
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:55:16 GMT
Jesse Wilson wrote:
> Oleg,
>
> I'm quite sorry that Android included an unreleased rev of Apache HTTP
> client, and I suspect we'll be paying for that mistake for quite a while.
>
> Because of the strict compatibility requirements of our platform, we will be
> unable to make forwards-incompatible API changes to the HTTP code. Unlike
> your desktop and serverside users, including the API as a part of the core
> platform significantly reduces our ability to make API changes.
>
> These days we aren't spending much time on the HTTP client code. Our users
> seem to be mostly satisfied with the ancient version in the SDK, and have
> been directing their complaints elsewhere (crypto, locales, XML...).
>
> That said, we do want to figure out a long term strategy for an HTTP client
> API that will work for both us and the Apache HTTP client team. We're
> considering a variety of options...
>
>    - Discouraging our users from using the built-in Apache HTTP client,
>    preferring the JDK's own URLConnection classes. Whether this is feasible
>    depends mostly on whether the new APIs in Java 6 (which we're working on)
>    will satisfy the use cases that Apache HTTP client has covered for years.
>
>    - Replacing the Apache HTTP client API with a 3rd API in a "com.google"
>    or "android." package. Such an API would likely be based on parts of your
>    own code, but with a more limited API.
>
>    - Tidying up the version of Apache HTTP that we're already stuck with.
>    This includes deprecating APIs that shouldn't have ever been exposed as
>    public, and possibly filling in any gaps using newer code from your project.
>
> But none of this work is particularly urgent since we're actively fighting
> fires in other areas of the core libraries.
>
> Cheers,
> Jesse

Jesse,

The current snapshot of HttpClient 4.x still maintains API compatibility
with the version shipping with Android.

It would be truly, truly sad if Google chose to deprecate HttpClient or
replace it with some other API. Whatever reason and intent this decision
could be based upon, that would be quite a setback for us as a project.

We had to rush the 4.0 API freeze per agreement with Bob Lee to be in
time for the first official Android release. So, we were stuck with that
API baseline ever since, even though I often wished we still had freedom
to make some tweaks to it. Nonetheless, we kept out side of the deal.
The initial plan and the expectation on our part was that Google would
sync up with our code line once HttpClient 4.0 was officially released.
Sadly, that did not happen.

I understand that in the grand scheme of things we are very small. Now
that Android is a major success we are no longer needed.

Oleg