hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HttpClient in Android
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2010 09:56:55 GMT
On Thu, 2010-03-18 at 18:47 -0500, Bob Lee wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > I wrote to you _twice_ shortly before the final release to ask about your
> > opinion whether this could be acceptable for Google or you would rather
> > prefer to have those changes reverted. Since I got no response I had no
> > other option but to assume that was not important. You went silent and no
> > one else from Google approached us.
> >

> Ohhhhh... I thought you were talking about the incompatibilities introduced
> in beta3, which I think you already fixed. I didn't realize there were more
> in an even later release. Here's the list you sent me:

Oh, come on.

> [ERROR] org.apache.http.conn.BasicEofSensorWatcher: Field attemptReuse is
> now final
> [ERROR] org.apache.http.conn.BasicEofSensorWatcher: Field managedConn is now
> final
> [ERROR] org.apache.http.impl.client.RoutedRequest: Accessibility of field
> request has been weakened from protected to private
> [ERROR] org.apache.http.impl.client.RoutedRequest: Accessibility of field
> route has been weakened from protected to private
> [ERROR] org.apache.http.impl.conn.DefaultClientConnectionOperator: Field
> schemeRegistry is now final
> [ERROR] org.apache.http.impl.conn.DefaultHttpRoutePlanner: Field
> schemeRegistry is now final
> [ERROR] org.apache.http.impl.conn.ProxySelectorRoutePlanner: Field
> schemeRegistry is now final
> [ERROR] org.apache.http.impl.conn.SingleClientConnManager: Field
> alwaysShutDown is now final
> [ERROR] org.apache.http.impl.conn.SingleClientConnManager: Field
> connOperator is now final
> [ERROR] org.apache.http.impl.conn.SingleClientConnManager: Field
> schemeRegistry is now final
> [ERROR] org.apache.http.impl.conn.tsccm.ConnPoolByRoute: Removed field
> maxTotalConnections
> [ERROR] org.apache.http.impl.conn.tsccm.ThreadSafeClientConnManager: Field
> connOperator is now final
> [ERROR] org.apache.http.impl.conn.tsccm.ThreadSafeClientConnManager: Field
> schemeRegistry is now final
> [ERROR] org.apache.http.impl.cookie.BrowserCompatSpec: Accessibility of
> field DATE_PATTERNS has been weakened from protected to private
>

> Are these the only incompatibilities with Android?

The correct list of incompatibilities can be found in the official
release notes:

http://www.apache.org/dist/httpcomponents/httpclient/RELEASE_NOTES.txt

Eleven protected variables in some obscure areas of connection
management code were made final to help ensure their thread safety.

> Reverting those changes
> would certainly help the Android team get the change through. If that
> happens, it should be relatively easy to drop in a new version. I think I
> did away with most if not all of the Android-specific changes a long time
> ago.

Those changes were made for a reason. Their consequences were discussed
on the mailing list. You were consulted twice and asked to raise your
objection.

http://markmail.org/message/nt5xsdstisygam3a

Giving this as a reason for not following through with the initial plan
does not seem fair.

I can revert the changes, no problem. However, the Android team should
make up their mind about the future plans first. I would be silly to
revert the changes just to find out later Google has some other reasons
for not upgrading.

If Jesse confirms those final variables is the only sticking point, I'll
make them non-final and cut a new official release.

> I'd love to see the stale connection checking bug fixed. Oleg, are there
> other high profile bugs that you know of?

I can't think of anything severe other than race conditions in the
connection management code found in BETA versions, which have been fixed
in the final release. There has also been an important performance fix
related to excessive Log lookups in short lived objects.

There have been a number of non-severe bug fixes which Android should
pick up nonetheless.

Cheers

Oleg