hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Asankha C. Perera" <asan...@apache.org>
Subject Controlling "acceptance" of connections
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2010 04:13:36 GMT
Hi All

With some recent load testing in an environment where requests are
queued and handled by a worker pool, I've seen that the NIO listener
will accept any number of connections - possibly even more than what the
worker pool (or the backend server to which they are forwarded) could
handle.

Thus I would like to impose a limit on the connections handled in a
graceful way - e.g. without refusing connections with a TCP RST - but by
not accepting the connection - so that the client can retransmit the SYN
again and try to connect. Is this the correct way to handle such load,
or should the server reply with a HTTP 503 (Service Unavilable) with a
"Retry-After" header? Any pointers and comments are very much appreciated

Tomcat 6 seems to refuse connections after the "acceptCount" is reached
[1] - but I think that might cause a load balancer in front to assume
the node is down - am I wrong?

thanks
asankha

[1] http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/http.html