hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Re: Status of AsyncHttpClient
Date Mon, 08 Feb 2010 14:30:49 GMT
On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 15:09 +0100, DELHOSTE Fabrice wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> > enough people willing to contribute to it. I see no point in developing
> > it all by myself, as I am not a great believer in benefits of NIO model
> > for client side HTTP in the first place.
>
> Actually, in my very first analysis, I think I may be in an architecture that requires
NIO at both server & client sides.
> To sum up, I need to build kind of transcoding proxy, supporting thousands of client
connections and connecting to a few web sites on behalf of those clients.
> That would allow managing client requests as fast as possible to the backend web servers
without blocking sending threads.

This is a whole different story. In this particular scenario the NIO
model makes good sense. Actually, HttpCore NIO was developed primarily
to facilitate development of HTTP services intended to act as a proxy or
a gateway to external services, where a great number of concurrent
outgoing ('client') connections may be required in order to provide
content for a great number of concurrent incoming ('server')
connections.

Cheers

Oleg

> For sure, I want to prototype before and found your interesting code.
>
> > The async client currently lack even the most basic features and nowhere
> > near production quality. Currently it is nothing more than HttpCore NIO
> > plus connection pooling.
>

> Ok. It is a good starting point for me, no more :-)
>

> On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 11:49 +0100, DELHOSTE Fabrice wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > In the scope of an important project, I'm strongly interested in the high-level
asynchronous
> http client (pooling, ...) available only in the SVN repo rather than reinventing the
wheel
> (round if possible ;-)
> > I've read the exchange discussed a few months ago and the code drop.
> >
> > What's the status today on this toolkit? Is it planned to become part of HttpCore
NIO?