hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Code formatting and standards
Date Sat, 16 Jan 2010 16:28:06 GMT
Tony Poppleton wrote:
> Hi Sebb,
>
> As requested, I have produced a first stab at some coding conventions at http://wiki.apache.org/HttpComponents/CodingConventions
>
> Please feel free to modify as you see fit.  There is still some work to be done, most
notably for me adding the Eclipse code formatting (if there is no objection then I will add
the ones Oleg sent earlier, until the appropriate body comes up with the official one)

> On your point about being consistent in a file being more important than across the project,
I would disagree.  If these conventions (and the code formatter) become the official project
standards, then they are exactly that, and all files in the project should adhere to them
by definition.  After the single SVN commit to clean up all the code, then both file and project
consistency will be maintained forevermore.

> Regards,
> Tony

(1) I think it would be worth dividing content of the document into two
distinct sections: requirements and recommendations. A failure to comply
with the requirements may lead to the rejection of a patch.

(2) Can we tone down this particular line a little ;-) "Prefer unchecked
exceptions (like RuntimeException) over checked exceptions". I
personally would be much more content with something like "checked
exceptions should represent potentially recoverable exceptions; runtime
exceptions should represent non-recoverable errors / unexpected errors /
programming errors" or some such.

Oleg