hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Google searches 3.x
Date Sat, 16 Jan 2010 16:01:15 GMT

http://hc.apache.org/httpclient-3.x/

> The fact that google is not directing people to the latest version (at least in the UK)
is probably hindering the uptake of 4.0.  Can I recommend that the 3.x website have a prominant
warning pointing to the newer version 4.0 in the header at the top of every page?

> Thanks,
> Tony

This basically reflects the current state of things. 3.x code is still
in a widespread use and there is probably more references to the old
documentation, which explains its higher ranking in the Google index.
Ahh, well, the real trouble is I am getting old and lazy, and do not
feel like touching Maven1 even with a barge pole. Once HttpClient 4.1 GA
is ready it would be time to officially declare 3.x code line 'end of
life' and put a big fat disclaimer on all legacy web pages.

Oleg