hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Code formatting and standards
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2010 12:58:21 GMT
On 15/01/2010, Tony Poppleton <tony.poppleton@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> Thanks Oleg.
>
>  I would certainly encourage you to try again at enforcing both code formatting and coding
standards.  The top committers on this project should get together, come up with something
they agree on, and then simply enforce it on everyone else.

The PMC (who may or may not be "top committers", or even commit to the
HC codebase) are the only group who can make such decisions.

Given that the PMC may change over time, the standards may also change
over time.

However, I agree that it would be sensible to look at producing some
coding recommendations, as those should help new contributors.

Why don't you start a Wiki page with your suggestions?
Or perhaps two, one for formatting, and another for coding (final vars etc)

> The Eclipse code formatter settings should be made available on the website, as well
as the "Clean Up" settings.  Eclipse can be used to apply the settings on the whole project,
so you can commit one revision where every class will adhere to the new standards.

That's rather drastic.

As far as code layout is concerned,  I take the view that changes to
existing code should generally adhere to whatever scheme that file
currently uses. Consistency within a file is more important than
consistency across all files.

>  Thanks,
>  Tony
>
>  > Message du 15/01/10 11:59
>  > De : "Oleg Kalnichevski"
>  > A : "Tony Poppleton"
>  > Copie à : dev@hc.apache.org
>  > Objet : Re: Code formatting and standards
>

>  > On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 03:29 +0100, Tony Poppleton wrote:
>  > > (this was previously posted on the users mailing list by mistake, reposting
to the correct channel...)
>  > >
>  > > Hi,
>  > >
>  > > I use the Eclipse IDE for all my development, and one useful feature is the
code formatter to ensure standardization. Does anyone have a premade Eclipse IDE formatter
for HttpCore/HttpClient that they could send me please?
>  > >
>  >
>  > Hi Tony
>  >
>  > Here is the file containing code formatting settings that I use.
>  >
>  >
>  > > Is code formatting enforced in these projects?
>  > >
>  >
>  > No, not really. The only hard requirement is the use of spaces instead
>  > of tabs and indentation with 4 spaces.
>  >
>  >
>  > > On a related topic, is there a coding standards document, for example on the
usage of the "final" keyword, to ensure coding is consistent between developers?