hc-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Poppleton <tony.popple...@wanadoo.fr>
Subject Re: Code formatting and standards
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2010 12:44:37 GMT
Thanks Oleg.

I would certainly encourage you to try again at enforcing both code formatting and coding
standards.  The top committers on this project should get together, come up with something
they agree on, and then simply enforce it on everyone else.  The Eclipse code formatter settings
should be made available on the website, as well as the "Clean Up" settings.  Eclipse can
be used to apply the settings on the whole project, so you can commit one revision where every
class will adhere to the new standards.

Thanks,
Tony

> Message du 15/01/10 11:59
> De : "Oleg Kalnichevski"
> A : "Tony Poppleton"
> Copie à : dev@hc.apache.org
> Objet : Re: Code formatting and standards
>
> On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 03:29 +0100, Tony Poppleton wrote:
> > (this was previously posted on the users mailing list by mistake, reposting to the
correct channel...)

> > Hi,
> >
> > I use the Eclipse IDE for all my development, and one useful feature is the code
formatter to ensure standardization. Does anyone have a premade Eclipse IDE formatter for
HttpCore/HttpClient that they could send me please?

> Hi Tony
>
> Here is the file containing code formatting settings that I use.
>

> > Is code formatting enforced in these projects?
> >

> No, not really. The only hard requirement is the use of spaces instead
> of tabs and indentation with 4 spaces.
>

> > On a related topic, is there a coding standards document, for example on the usage
of the "final" keyword, to ensure coding is consistent between developers?