hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Code formatting and standards
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2010 10:53:22 GMT
On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 03:29 +0100, Tony Poppleton wrote:
> (this was previously posted on the users mailing list by mistake, reposting to the correct
channel...)

> Hi,
>
> I use the Eclipse IDE for all my development, and one useful feature is the code formatter
to ensure standardization.  Does anyone have a premade Eclipse IDE formatter for HttpCore/HttpClient
that they could send me please?

Hi Tony

Here is the file containing code formatting settings that I use.

> Is code formatting enforced in these projects?

No, not really. The only hard requirement is the use of spaces instead
of tabs and indentation with 4 spaces.

> On a related topic, is there a coding standards document, for example on the usage of
the "final" keyword, to ensure coding is consistent between developers?

Historically there used to be too many developers with completely
different tastes for the code formatting standards, so any attempt at
coming up with a common policy could easily escalate into a full scale
'food fight'. I personally have fairly bizarre preferences for code
formatting and therefore do not find it possible to impose them onto
other fellow human beings.

We could try, though, given the fact that the code base is becoming
stable and major cross cutting changes are unlikely.

Oleg