hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Last redirect URL
Date Tue, 22 Sep 2009 12:10:38 GMT
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 05:14:05PM -0700, Ken Krugler wrote:
>  >
>  > On Sep 21, 2009, at 2:30pm, droidin.net wrote:
>  >
>  >>
>  >> I have rather simple HttpClient 4 code that calls HttpGet to get HTML
>  >> output.
>  >> The HTML returns with scripts and image locations all set to local
>  >> (e.g.
>  >> /images/foo.jpg ) so I need calling URL to make these into absolute (
>  >> http://foo.com/images/foo.jpg  Now comes the problem - during the call
>  >> there
>  >> may be one or two 302 redirects so the original URL is no longer
>  >> reflects
>  >> the location of HTML. How do I get the latest URL of the returned
>  >> content
>  >> given all the redirects I may (or may not) have?
>  >>
>  >> I looked at HttpGet#getAllHeaders() and HttpResponse#getAllHeaders() -
>  >> couldn't find anything.
>  >
>  > From past posts on the list, I thought httpMethod.getURI() would return
>  > the final URL.
>  >
>  > -- Ken
>  >
>  >

> Ken,
>
>  This is only partially correct. The original request object remains unmodified.

This is a change from 3.1; perhaps needs a note in the Javadoc to say
it is not affected by redirects.

>  So, one needs to retrieve the internal HttpUriRequest and HttpHost objects from
>  the execution context in order to find out the final request URI / target host.
>  For details see:
>
>  http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client/tutorial/html/fundamentals.html#d4e205

Note that the text talks about 'http.target_host' but the code uses:

ExecutionContext.HTTP_TARGET_HOST

which is presumably a constant for the value. I think this is confusing.

I assume the HC4 code actually uses constants throughout, so would IMO
the document should do so too.

Any objections to updating the documentation accordingly?

I would prefer not to document the constant values (available via
Javadoc anyway), i.e. I propose to change:

* 'http.target_host':   HttpHost instance representing the connection target.

* ExecutionContext.HTTP_TARGET_HOST:   HttpHost instance representing
the connection target.

However, I suppose one could write:

* ExecutionContext.HTTP_TARGET_HOST ('http.target_host'):   HttpHost
instance representing the connection target.