hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tidy up of pom files etc
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2009 15:33:04 GMT
On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 01:24:52PM +0100, sebb wrote:
> There seem to be some inconsistencies in the pom files and the project
> layout, at least when used with Eclipse.
>
> The HC "parent" pom has the artifactid "project", and by default the
> Eclipse/Maven 2 plugin will create a project called "project", which
> is obviously a bit ambiguous.

To me, this is an issue with Eclipse/Maven 2 plugin rather than that with the
HC parent pom. In my opinion the plugin ought not use project's artifactId as
the project name.

> The parent pom also refers to the modules:
>
> ../httpcore
> ../httpclient
>
> which is fine, except that their POMs use the artifact ids:
>
> httpcomponents-client
> httpcomponents-core
>
> A partial fix would be to change the parent POM to use the module names:
>
> ../httpcomponents-client
> ../httpcomponents-core

Are you sure this is going to work?

> This would obviously affect any existing developer workspaces, but
> should only require a rename of the directories or Eclipse projects,
> so should be relatively easy.
>
> I'm not sure if it would be as easy to change the parent POM
> artifactId, as this might affect existing Maven repos. The name is
> also used in the child poms, which use the relativePath
> "../project/pom.xml" to refer to the parent.
>
> I think it would be useful to change the parent pom to use the
> artifactId "httpcomponents", but I don't know if that would cause
> problems for Maven repos downstream. AFAICT, the child projects don't
> have run-time dependencies on the parent, so I think it would only
> affect a few HC developers.

This certianly should not affect users of HttpClient. However, I am not sure it
is a problem that needs fixing.

Oleg