hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ATTN] HttpClient 4.0 GA / HttpCore 4.1-alpha1 release votes
Date Thu, 30 Jul 2009 09:28:48 GMT
On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 10:09:16AM +0100, sebb wrote:
> On 29/07/2009, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:40:47AM +0100, sebb wrote:
> >  > On 22/07/2009, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> >  > > Folks,
> >  > >
> >  > >  If I hear no objections I would like to proceed with cutting official
release
> >  > >  packages for HttpClient 4.0 and HttpCore 4.1-alpha1 and calling the
release
> >  > >  votes.
> >  > >
> >  > >  Sebastian,
> >  > >
> >  > >  Do you need more time to review the packages?
> >  >
> >  > Yes please.
> >  >
> >  > I hope to review the code later this week (still getting back to
> >  > normal after 24 hrs travelling!).
> >  >

> > Hi Sebastian
> >
> >  How long do you think it is going to take you to complete the review?
> >

> Sorry, got side-tracked by JMeter and related stuff.
>
> I've finished looking at HttpClient; I think the only remaining issue
> is what to do about SSLSocketFactory. Several options:
>
> * do nothing
> * document thread-safety issue with setter/getter methods
> * make field volatile
> * make field final and remove getter/setter (breaks API)

Let's just make it volatile and get it over with. It is just unfortunate the
release got delayed over what is essentially a non issue.

> I would like to revisit HttpCore. I'll try and do that before the weekend.

Sure. Take your time with HttpCore. However, can I meanwhile start cutting the
official release packages for HttpClient 4.0? HttpClient 4.0 does not depend on
HttpCore 4.1a1 in any way. The two releases are completely unrelated.

Cheers

Oleg