hc-dev mailing list archives

From D H <testinganacco...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question on HTTPClient-675
Date Mon, 15 Jun 2009 20:11:46 GMT
2009/6/15 Ortwin Gl├╝ck <odi@odi.ch>

> D H wrote:
>
>> This code does not call post.releaseConnection() at all! It will leak
>>> connections. It could be that you are running out of file descriptors.
>>> The
>>> call
>>> should be put into a finally block. See the example code on the website.
>>>
>>>  That was one of my recommendations the first day I looked at the code
>> but
>> they want me to be able to duplicate the problem with my sample code
>> first.
>> Hopefully your reply will help bolster the case for correcting that
>> oversight in their code.
>>

> OMG. Failure to call releaseConnection() is a gross mistake and should be
> fixed in any case. Obviously the original author of this code has never
> looked at the provided examples, or read the API Doc.

I agree about this, they wanted proof of a fix before any changes would be
made and my manager is still saying there must be proof before code changes
even now after I showed him your email and the documentation from the site.

> Anyway if this is so hard to reproduce and profiling didn't give you any
> idea what's broken, why do you suspect something in this particular piece of
> code is the cause of your problem?

That's a very good question, I was given the source code, no explanation of
their code and told HttpClient was the problem.  It is a rather large
codebase so I'm taking their word for it.  They've apparently worked on it
sporadically for a couple of months to isolate it to HttpClient, and my task
is to prove it is causing this problem with JMeter in a self-contained code
sample.  This problem has only been seen in Production and only after almost
a week of running 24/7 so it's hard to duplicate it easily.  I've sent over
two hundred thousand HttpClient requests without seeing the problem so I'd
rather see this code fix go to Production and test that way personally.

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my emails, thank you very
much.

Sincerely,
David Hamilton