hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: fatalIOException: Connection Reset
Date Sun, 03 May 2009 11:34:10 GMT
Adrian Cole wrote:
> I have a project: jclouds which uses the following version of httpnio:
>         <dependency>
>             <groupId>org.apache.httpcomponents</groupId>
>             <artifactId>httpcore-nio</artifactId>
>             <version>4.0</version>
>         </dependency>
>
> I have a connection
> pool<http://code.google.com/p/jclouds/source/browse/trunk/extensions/httpnio/src/main/java/org/jclouds/http/httpnio/pool/HttpNioFutureCommandConnectionPool.java>
> which
> implements EventListener<http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-core/httpcore-nio/apidocs/org/apache/http/nio/protocol/EventListener.html#fatalIOException(java.io.IOException,%20org.apache.http.nio.NHttpConnection)>.
>  Now, this application is mainly used to connect to Amazon S3.  I often get
> IOExceptions like below for connection reset by peer.  However, they are
> coming in as fatalIOException.

EventListener#fatalIOException is somewhat a misnomer. The exceptions
passed to the event listener are not fatal for the I/O reactor. However,
the connection that caused that I/O exception is indeed considered
invalid and gets shut down.

  This seems to imply a complete shutdown of
> the IOReactor.

That should not be the case.

  My first impression is this is too severe, as re-creating an
> IOReactor over a connection reset seems a bit harsh.  However this is the
> current behaviour.  Do you have any ideas on how I can work around
> connection resets in a simple way?

The I/O reactor should remain perfectly functional in case just a
individual connection caused an I/O exception. The connection will get
shut down but the I/O reactor itself should still be in a consistent
state and very much functional. If the I/O reactor ever encounters an
exception it deems non-recoverable it will automatically shut down itself.

Hope this helps.

Oleg