hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Brijesh Deo" <b...@SonicWALL.com>
Subject Re: How to proxy multiple web servers?
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2009 12:22:26 GMT

Typo ....*not* is NOW :)

Thanks,
Brijesh

-----Original Message-----
From: Ortwin Gl├╝ck [mailto:odi@odi.ch]
Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 3:11 PM
To: HttpComponents Project
Subject: Re: How to proxy multiple web servers?

Brijesh, the Host header makes the most sense with domain names, not IP
addresses. It was invented, so that you can host hundreds of domains on a single
IP and port. Maybe you need a split DNS horizon as well. Such that your clients
would resolve the reverse proxy IP for all DNS names.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I am *NOW* getting the picture about how to get it working.
So I can have a DNS name for my reverse proxy, say revproxy <-> 10.10.10.10.
Then each web server that I need to proxy can be represented by a subdomain like app1.revproxy,
app2.revproxy and so on....
And I somehow would need the clients to resolve these names to my reverse proxy IP address.
This is not going to be easy since I would have the web servers (to proxy) added to my reverse
proxy dynamically.
One easy thing would be to add these names to the hosts file on the client systems to map
to the reverse proxy IP address. But this would need to be done on all the clients that would
access my reverse proxy ... a big task indeed.

Is there any easier method out there to accomplish this?

Even if I dynamically add/delete names to the DNS server using a Java program, it would work
only in a closed environment where all clients would be expected to use the same DNS server.

Thanks,
Brijesh