hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Brijesh Deo" <b...@SonicWALL.com>
Subject How to proxy multiple web servers?
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2009 05:20:01 GMT
Hi,

I am implementing a Reverse proxy application modeled on the sample code
'ElementalReverseProxy'
(http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpcore/trunk/httpcore/
src/examples/org/apache/http/examples/ElementalReverseProxy.java) with a
little modification.

My Reverse Proxy application has an HttpService running on a port for
handling incoming HttpRequests. For, passing on these Requests to the
Target web servers (for outgoing connections), I am using HttpClient
4.0. This is what I have done differently from the
ElementalReverseProxy.java. The HttpResponse thus obtained from the
Target webservers is passed into the Response to the initial Request
that was received by the HttpService. So, this works great as a reverse
proxy.

My Reverse proxy application needs to proxy multiple web servers and
such web servers can be dynamically added or deleted from the proxy. The
above approach works great when I dedicate a HttpService on a specific
port to proxy a particular web server only. So, going by the above
approach, I would need to run multiple HttpServices on different ports
to proxy each web server. And that many ports have to be left open on
the system on which I deploy this application. So, this poses a security
risk and also can be a scalability issue when I need to proxy hundreds
of web servers. Actually, all my webservers are small network appliances
that run a web server with the management web GUI which I want to proxy
through a centralized system.

The ideal solution I believe would be to run a single HttpService on a
port and then send the Requests to different target hosts using the
Httpclient, but the challenge is how to find out by seeing the
HttpRequest that to which target it needs to be sent. Is it good to set
a Cookie in the Response to the first request that comes in with an
identifier for a particular web server? I could have the first request
in the form :
http://my-reverseproxy-host:8888/index.html?id=some_identifier. In the
response to this request, I could add the Set-Cookie header with the
identifier value which should help me identify subsequent request for
that browser session.

What are the other ways to keep track of the Requests and responses? Has
anyone come across this kind of situation?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Brijesh