hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Support for Caching in HttpClient
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2009 19:00:16 GMT
sebb wrote:
> On 13/02/2009, Ortwin Gl├╝ck <odi@odi.ch> wrote:
>> No real plans. But requests for this feature are popping up every now and then.
>>  We have a JIRA ticket for that:
>>
>>  http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-427
>
> Ah, thanks, did not think to check JIRA.
>
>>  Considering that other HTTP client libraries do have a cache implementation, we
>>  should seriously think about this.
>>
>>  Of course the whole caching topic is a can of worms: cache control headers,
>>  eviction, in memory/disk/db storage with efficient retrieval, space usage
>>  limiting, controlled concurrent access (potentially across processes) etc. But
>>  should be an interesting module to work on.
>
> Indeed.
>
> It would be useful for JMeter to be able to use it, probably without
> actually storing the data. I'll add a note to the JIRA.
>
>>  sebb wrote:
>>  > Just wondered if there are any plans to support user-agent Caching in
>>  > HttpClient?

Such module could also potentially host other content handling aspects,
for instance, GZip compression.

Personally I will not be able to contribute much, so it is really
important some other committer(s) / contributor(s) would step forward to
  take ownership of that module and to lead the development effort.

Oleg