hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HttpCore NIO extensions -- SessionRequestCallback vs. EventListener?
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2009 19:17:06 GMT
Chas Williams wrote:
> Hello,
>
>              I'm running a high throughput nio http client (essentially a
> small webcrawler) through the apache HttpCore NIO extensions -- my code is
> based largely off the sample client at
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpcore/trunk/module-nio/src/examples/org/apache/http/examples/nio/NHttpClient.java
> .
>
>              I'm modeling my work flow using 'work object' attachments that
> are passed around by threads, or sometimes placed in queues (or requested
> from the web by the httpcore nio extensions).
>
>              I need to very precisely react to each different kind of
> request failure a single time -- but I'm having a difficult time
> understanding the difference between SessionRequestCallback and
> EventListener. I've looked through the JavaDoc, but can't find guarantees
> anywhere of which callback methods are used, when, and why. For example, in
> my EventListener object, I've seen calls for connectionTimeout followed by
> calls to fatalIOException. Is this intended behavior? Is there somewhere I
> can look for a more detailed description of these classes?
>
> Thanks much,

Hi Chas

I have been working on improving Javadocs of HttpCore for the past few
weeks. The documentation should have improved considerably since the
last official release. Please pull the latest code from the project SVN
repository.

You may also want to take a look at the HttpCore tutorial (it is still a
draft but it already gives a complete coverage of the API). Both
interfaces should be adequately documented in the tutorial.

http://wiki.apache.org/HttpComponents/HttpCoreTutorial

If you need further details, just let me know.

Cheers

Oleg