hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Lovette, Steve" <steve.love...@lmco.com>
Subject RE: use of MD5 and security violations
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2008 12:15:29 GMT
Sebbaz
 From what I have read the use of algorithms that have been shown to be
breakable become unacceptable. There is literature on the web about
this. From reading the government NIST web site and the government STIGs
that recommend only the SHA-x algorithms to be used in sensitive
applications. MD5 is not a government approved algorithm to be used in
hashing functions where encryption is involved.

That said your point about HTTP client may well be the best counter
point. Since HTTP client runs on the client and the client is always
suspect then perhaps this is a sufficient argument.

I posted the question because of the ambiguity I am finding. In the
national vulnerability databases I see no listing asserting HTTP clients
use of MD5 as bad. I see many complaints about MD5 but the ones I have
read are more programmatic errors surrounding the algorithm and not
complaints about the algorithm itself.

I believe this is a relatively recent (last several years) complaint.
The standards you reference are far older from what I have read. I was
hoping to engage Apache security on this.

Steve