hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Use of TestAll classes in HttpClient - some test cases are overlooked
Date Sun, 26 Oct 2008 18:00:41 GMT
The test cases for HttpClient are created by running only the umbrella
TestAll class, and ignoring all other classes in the test hierarchy.
This seems to me a risky way of doing the tests, as it is very easy to
forget to add a new test class to the TestAll class.

For example, org.apache.http.client.protocol.TestUriEscapes is not
exercised by the org.apache.http.client.protocol.TestAllProtocol
class, and the org.apache.http.client.utils.TestAllUtils umbrella
class is not included in the TestAll class. I've not checked every
test class, just did a cursory check.

I'd like to suggest getting rid of all such classes, and changing the
pom to pick up all classes instead. I cannot myself see any advantage
in having these test umbrella classes.

However, if there is a good reason to keep them, then the pom should
run the tests from everything *except* the TestAll* classes by
default; the Test* classes could then still be used to manually run
partial tests (assuming this can be done in Maven).