hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Board report draft
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2008 22:03:44 GMT
On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 23:40 +0200, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 19:03 +0100, ant elder wrote:
> > Looks good to me and i agree would be good to mention about Droids.
>
> I started a proposal for incubation, but ATM there is a ongoing
> discussion about how to leave labs and we should wait till it settles.
>
>  http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/DroidsProposal
>
> The other thing is the community component for droids. The only initial
> committer ATM besides me is Ryan from lucene/solr, some colleagues of
> mine have posted patches and lucene committer expressed interest for
> sponsoring droids as well (labs list) [1].

Hi Thorsten

Community building is precisely the reason why Droids should go through
the process of incubation. Several people (including myself) expressed
willingness to help with the incubation process, but this may not be
enough to ensure a tong term viability of Droids. Getting new people on
board is indeed the biggest issue.

Another concern is that HttpComponents may prove too constraining if you
envisage Droids being more than a framework for web (HTTP) crawlers. In
this case Lucene could be a better home for Droids.

Cheers

Oleg