hc-dev mailing list archives

From Rae Egli <re...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: NIO HttpCore - Can requestInput result in two new requests
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2008 15:46:19 GMT
Oleg,

> I chose a reverse proxy as an example primarily due to the fact that a
> reverse proxy can get away with a much simpler connection management
> logic than a normal caching proxy.

> One needs a significantly more complex logic for managing connections to
> origin servers when implementing a production level caching proxy. It is
> simply out of scope for HttpCore.

I understand.  I just wanted to point out the flaw.  Note that the reverse proxy, in particular,
is vulnerable to this bug as it ALWAYS has the same Origin/destination connection and therefore
always has the same Origin context/ProxyTask.  Therefore, anytime a new connection arrives
before the old one completes, the problem occurs.  I encountered it first on the original
example but at that point didn't understand enough of the issue.

> There are plans to start development of connection management components
> based on HttpCore NIO similar to those that exist for blocking HttpCore
> either as a separate project within HC or as an extension to HttpClient
> 4.0. Ideally those efforts should be driven by another contributor /
> committer.

> Hope that clarifies things a little.

I am looking forward to it.  Thanks a lot for all your efforts on this project.  I like it
a lot!

Raetus