hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject [HttpClient] formal 4.0 API freeze
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2008 07:03:08 GMT

It looks like folks at Google really have to lock down the API of their
Android platform. That also means they are going to ship HttpClient 4.0
before we could release BETA1. I personally think it is very important
to avoid API incompatibilities between the version of HttpClient shipped
with the Android platform and the stock version of HttpClient. The
advantages of having a consistent API with a mobile platform that can
potentially expand our user base on a massive scale are far greater than
the disadvantages of locking down the API at this point.

How do you feel about declaring an API freeze towards the end of the
week and then releasing a full blown BETA1 release some time in August
in an orderly manner?

Oleg