hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] HttpComponents Core 4.0-beta2 release
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2008 19:00:30 GMT
> On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 12:56 +0100, sebb wrote:
>  > On 17/06/2008, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:

>  > This is not a release blocker, but I think future releases should
>  > include a means to actually build and test on Java 1.3, i.e. either an
>  > M1 build or Ant script for main. [Note the one I created relies on
>  > having junit in the Ant lib directory, which may not be the case.]
>  >

> We used to have ant build scripts but it turned out to be too much of a
>  burden to maintain both M2 and ant scripts. HttpCore base module is the
>  only one that can run on Java 1.3. If you like I could restore the ant
>  build script for that module only.

Seems like a good idea.

Maybe add a BUILDING.txt as well, to explain that the Ant is only
intended for Java 1.3.

Also needs to mention that Ant 1.6.5 seems to be the latest possible
version usable with Java 1.3.1 - and JUnit 3.8.1.

>  > The Manifest files could have a bit more detail in them, but the
>  > essentials are covered.
>  >

> What do you think should be added?

I've seen the following in other manifests:

Specification-Title:  Apache Jakarta JMeter
Specification-Vendor:  Apache Software Foundation
Implementation-Vendor:  Apache Software Foundation

It would help to mention the ASF at least once ;-)

>  > The DOAP file is a bit out of date.
>  >

> Updated. Please review

Thanks, looks OK.