hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: NIO Connection Management
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2008 21:25:17 GMT
On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 21:01 +0200, Quintin Beukes wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I checked out the EventDispatch thread the other day.. the
> createConnection() inside the connected() method is what drew my
> attention to it.
>
> Problem is that I put a breakpoint there, and the connection is
> already made to the target host (according to netstat), by the time
> that break point is reached. It seems to me that the connected()
> method is more what wraps IOSession (thus the Channel) inside a
> DefaultNHttpClientConnection object.
>
> So you can't really manage the connections, as a new physical
> connection is already made at this point.

It is true, but this helps you keep track of open connections, right?
You can easily add more control logic around ´╗┐ConnectingIOReactor in
addition to that.

So, i think a viable approach could be to build the connection
management code as an extra control layer on top of both IOEventDispatch
and ConnectingIOReactor interfaces. A connection manager would act as a
facade for the connecting I/O reactor. It could keep track of open
connections and delegate the process of establishing new connections to
the I/O reactor if needed. The user would interact with the connection
manager and not directly with the ´╗┐I/O reactor.

Does this make any sense?

Oleg