hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [HttpClient] Logging wars revisited for the last time (really)
Date Fri, 23 May 2008 10:09:21 GMT
> Folks,
>
>  We finally need to make a decision on the logging toolkit we are going
>  to use in HttpClient 4.0 onwards.

I agree that the decision needs to be final - but first it has to be static ;-)

>  http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-416
>
>  Here's my suggestion about the course of action we should take
>
>  (1) I'll start a poll on the user list about popular opinion on the
>  matter and propose three alternatives:
>
>   * keeping commons-logging
>   * migrating to slf4j
>   * migrating to j.u.logging
>
>  (2) Let the poll run for a week or so and get the users express their
>  preferences and opinions.
>
>  (3) Tally the votes
>
>  (4) Hold a formal vote on the dev list on two most popular options
>
>  (5) Make a decision and stick to it
>
>  Any objections to that?

My view is if it ain't broke, don't fix it - the corolllary is that
the poll needs to ask for specific reasons why a change would be an
improvement, not just a popularity contest of the logging systems,
because that tends to be influenced by what one is used to.