hc-dev mailing list archives

From Jens Wilke <jens.wi...@headissue.com>
Subject URI parsing; was: Re: API review request / HttpException subclass of IOException
Date Mon, 26 May 2008 19:46:34 GMT
Oleg,

On Monday 26 May 2008, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> There is just no way around parsing request URIs because we need to
> extract the protocol scheme from it or determine that it does not
> contain one. Given the protocol scheme we can pick up the corresponding
> socket factory. The request URI parsing just seems unavoidable.

Yes, you are right for the general case, and this "convenient" bahaviour
needs to be there, of course.

> HttpCore on the other hand will take any garbage for a request URI. If
> you have some special requirements, consider putting together a custom
> HTTP client on top of HttpCore plus low level connection management,
> state management and authentication components from HttpClient. ´╗┐At the
> end of the day HttpClient is meant to a bunch of reusable components in
> the first place. We ship just _one_ of many possible HTTP agent
> implementations.

Maybe it could also be an add-on of http client: there could be
another "more direct" HttpGet implementation. I hope something
like this can be theoretically added as a new feature anytime
after the API freeze.

Best,

Jens

--
"Everything superfluous is wrong!"

   // Jens Wilke - headissue GmbH - Germany
 \//  http://www.headissue.com