hc-dev mailing list archives

From Jens Wilke <jens.wi...@headissue.com>
Subject Re-throwing URISyntaxException; was: Re: API review request / HttpException subclass of IOException
Date Mon, 26 May 2008 19:34:17 GMT
On Monday 26 May 2008, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> I do not mind catching ´╗┐URISyntaxExceptions and re-throwing them as
> HttpExceptions. I will happily take a patch for that.

That is exaclty the problem. The more different exception hierachies get
introduced the more re-throwing occurs. I really like the error outputs with
five different stack traces for a single source of exception.

So we have:
- re-throwing isn't nice
- if we don't rethrow all usages of HttpGet&Co need an extra catch
- third option: don't use the java.net.URI internally

All three: not nice!

Best,

Jens

--
"Everything superfluous is wrong!"

   // Jens Wilke - headissue GmbH - Germany
 \//  http://www.headissue.com