hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [HttpClient] Logging wars revisited for the last time (really)
Date Fri, 23 May 2008 11:12:59 GMT
On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 11:09 +0100, sebb wrote:
> On 23/05/2008, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> >  We finally need to make a decision on the logging toolkit we are going
> >  to use in HttpClient 4.0 onwards.
>
> I agree that the decision needs to be final - but first it has to be static ;-)

Right you are ;-)

> >  http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-416
> >
> >  Here's my suggestion about the course of action we should take
> >
> >  (1) I'll start a poll on the user list about popular opinion on the
> >  matter and propose three alternatives:
> >
> >   * keeping commons-logging
> >   * migrating to slf4j
> >   * ´╗┐migrating to j.u.logging
> >
> >  (2) Let the poll run for a week or so and get the users express their
> >  preferences and opinions.
> >
> >  (3) Tally the votes
> >
> >  (4) Hold a formal vote on the dev list on two most popular options
> >
> >  (5) Make a decision and stick to it
> >
> >  Any objections to that?
>
> My view is if it ain't broke, don't fix it - the corolllary is that
> the poll needs to ask for specific reasons why a change would be an
> improvement, not just a popularity contest of the logging systems,
> because that tends to be influenced by what one is used to.

The trouble is enough people out there who think commons-logging is, at
least partially, broken, especially for web apps (option I tend to
share). As far as I know (I may be wrong, though) commons-logging
development seems stagnant and there is little hope of any further
releases.

Last time we had a pretty unexpected results with the poll on Java 1.5
compatibility. All I am saying let's discuss our options for the _very_
last time, and on the user list. In order to have some sort of measure
of what people think on the subject this should be held in a form of a
poll. It does not mean we have to automatically take the option with a
simple majority of votes, but it would be wrong to not take it into
account.

Oleg