hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Asankha C. Perera" <asan...@wso2.com>
Subject Re: NIO based connection manager impl / async HttpClient
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2008 02:25:37 GMT
Oleg

Sorry for being late to reply..
> I would like to start working on a NIO based version of the connection
> manager sometime in the coming days / weeks. A connection manager
> implementation for non-blocking HTTP connections can be potentially
> useful for both Synapse and LimeWire, and probably other projects as
> well. Essentially an NIO based connection manager implementation is the
> only missing piece of functionality preventing us from developing a
> full-blown asynchronous version of HttpClient.

+1 to this and Synapse is interested
> There is a few points, however, I would like to discuss with the HC
> community before I go ahead with these plans
>
> (1) First off, are there any objections to developing an NIO connection
> manager within HC?

Not from me
> (2) If there are no objection to hosting this code here, shall NIO based
> client-side components be developed as a project distinct from
> traditional HttpClient with a separate release cycle, probably even
> starting with the release version 1.0, or shall we develop it as a
> module of HttpClient sharing the same release cycle?

I personally would prefer it as a module.. but am fully ok even if its
another project
> (3) Anyone interested in getting involved in the early stages of
> development and helping me define the API and the component architecture
> for the NIO connection manager?

I haven't been able to do much with HttpCore lately due to other stuff,
but am interested to help out anyway I can.. at least in review and
initial testing etc. I will not be available on Mail from 9th to around
15th as Sri Lanka will be celebrating the local new year during this
time :-)

thanks
asankha