hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Pankaj Arora" <par...@castiron.com>
Subject Http Client 4.0 release date
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2008 00:01:16 GMT

Hi,
Any idea when is Http Client 4.0 is schedule for release.

Also has this been taken care in 4.0?
Http Client is planning to do this in 4.0
It's on my list for 4.0, though it won't make it into client alpha1:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-httpclient/ConnectionManagementDesign

Please refer to mail chain below for issue and your comments:

____
Hi Odi,

> I would actually consider this a security issue in the connection
> managers: It may hand out an already authenticated connection to an
> unsuspecting client. We should add fields to HttpConnection that keep
> track of the credentials for connection oriented AuthSchemes. So
> connection managers can take this into account. Also the connection
> managers lack a parameter in the getConnection methods that carries
> authentication information for connection based auth schemes.

It's on my list for 4.0, though it won't make it into client alpha1:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-httpclient/ConnectionManagementDesign
It's not urgent since we won't have NTLM support for a while.

I don't think we can or should squeeze this into 3.x anymore.

cheers,
Roland

Pankaj,

NTLM is designed to authenticate a connection. AFAIK it does not support
a "logout" in the middle of a connection, nor does it support preemptive
authentication. So the only way to force a new authentication is to
close the connection. (e.g. try and clear the authentication to a mapped
network drive in Windows. Probably the same issue there.)

Thus it's not possible to share a connection between users when using
NTLM auth. Yes, this may cause a performance hit if you were planning to
share a connection between different users.

You could tweak your connection manager to remember the authenticated
user for each connection and try to find an already authenticated one or
hand out a new one if you can't.

I would actually consider this a security issue in the connection
managers: It may hand out an already authenticated connection to an
unsuspecting client. We should add fields to HttpConnection that keep
track of the credentials for connection oriented AuthSchemes. So
connection managers can take this into account. Also the connection
managers lack a parameter in the getConnection methods that carries
authentication information for connection based auth schemes.

Ortwin