hc-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: [discuss] pure Java and cross-platform?
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 00:48:00 GMT
On 10.03.2008, at 01:17, sebb wrote:

> On 09/03/2008, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:

>>> I feel uncomfortable too.
>>>
>>> Who is going to build and test the code?
>>>
>>> Or is the code only going to be released as source?
>>
>> Yes, source code only, unsupported, as is, no releases, no
>> guarantees of
>>  what so ever.
>
> So why bother? It could just be posted anywhere, with a link from the
> Wiki for those who wanted to use it.

So why not here? :-)

As long as we don't put it in a release package (be it source or ...)
we should be perfectly fine in providing it additionally in SVN.

Oleg gave some good reasons on why it makes sense to have it here and
I fully support that.

>>> What compilers will be permitted?
>>
>> Why should we preclude any compilers?
>
> Because not all compilers are freely available.

That doesn't make any sense.

What's used to compile and/or run our software isn't our business...

>>> The current discussion is only about Windows.
>>> If we decide to allow JNI code, what other platforms will need to
>>> be supported?
>>
>> If there is ever Windows integrated authentication for other
>> platforms,
>> I do not see a problem accepting that code into the 'contrib'
>> package as
>> well.
>
> Although prompted by the Windows NTLM issue, I thought this discussion
> was about more than just authentication.

So what? As long as we don't have any other (e.g. legal) issues then
we shouldn't limit our possibilities to provide additional resources
which foster the eco-system around HC.

And to get to the original question:

On 08.03.2008, at 09:26, Roland Weber wrote:

> ...for the time being, all the code in our repository is
> pure Java...
>
> Is this a defining element of our project or not?

No, it isn't - our core packages are obviously Java-centric, as
specified in the original resolution creating the TLP, but we do not
have to stay away from accpeting additional non-Java resources to
support our software.

Cheers,
Erik