hc-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: NTLMv2 in Apache HttpClient
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 12:56:32 GMT
On 02.03.2008, at 21:12, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-03-02 at 09:16 +0100, Roland Weber wrote:
>>> Absolutely. We would love to see a better support for NTLMv2 in
>>> HttpClient.
>>
>> Yes, we would love to see better support for NTLMv2 in HttpClient.
>> But what we would not want to see is somebody dropping a huge block
>> of code on us without giving further support. There will be user
>> questions on how things work or why they don't, and there will be
>> bugs that need fixing.
>
> Roland
>
> Not that we are able to properly maintain the existing NTLM code
> either.
> A better and cleaner NTLM implementation would be still be a big step
> forward.

Yes, I agree with Oleg.

>> If the idea is to create a self-sustaining subproject for NTLM, I'm
>> all for it. But that means Incubator, not a code donation to us.
>
> The purpose of incubation is to form a community around a code
> base. The
> scope of NTLM is too narrow to expect a self-sustaining community to
> form around it. So what is the point of incubating that piece code in
> the first place?

Right, I don't think NTLM support would justify a separate self-
sustaining community/project. Though we'd need to go through
Incubator anyway, just for the short-track intended for code
donations (just IP clearance, no community building).

But first let's see which answer we get in regard to the legal side;
we can then still decide what to do and where to go etc.

Cheers,
Erik