hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: NTLMv2 in Apache HttpClient
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 16:30:46 GMT
Hi Sebastian,

> Or declare it as a system dependency?

I believe that the "system dependency" clause was meant
for generic APIs, like JDBC or the Java URL handlers.
If we're directly importing implementation packages of
an external library, it won't pass as a system dependency.

>>  We have our own PMC now and are no longer subject to the Jakarta
>>  policy on LPGL dependencies.
>
> Not sure I follow that; surely the Jakarta rules are derived from ASF rules?

I didn't make myself clear here. While we were at Jakarta,
we would have had to stick to the Jakarta-defined policy,
or discuss with the Jakarta PMC to change that policy.[1]
It surely was derived from ASF rules, but had it's own set of
requirements. For example, the first item said "you have to
ask the author(s) of the LGPLd library for dual licensing".
That was surely a Jakarta thing and not a mandatory ASF policy.
Btw, the Jakarta policy has been dropped in favour of the
3rd party draft.

cheers,
   Roland

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/Using_LGPL'd_code?action=recall&rev=5