hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Logging in core / core-nio
Date Mon, 31 Mar 2008 20:32:44 GMT

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 15:09 -0400, Sam Berlin wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> There's been a number of times that we've been looking to debug things
> within httpcore & httpcore-nio, but have to resort to recompiling
> and/or using a debugger with breakpoints, due to no logging within the
> package.  I can understand the desire to reduce dependencies, but I
> humbly disagree with the conclusion.  In my opinion, logging in
> httpcore & httpcore-nio is very much useful & necessary.
>
> Is this issue firmly closed, or could logging somehow be added back
> into core & core-nio?
>
> Thanks,
>  Sam

Hi Sam,

I generally tend to think it is much, much cleaner and proper to inject
logging capabilities using the Decorator pattern and still see no need
to impose a choice of a particular logging toolkit onto all users of
HttpCore.

You can find decorators for the NIO interfaces in the contrib package:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpcore/trunk/contrib/src/main/java/org/apache/http/contrib/logging/

Would that solve the problem for you?

Oleg