hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject NIO based connection manager impl / async HttpClient
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 13:38:50 GMT
Folks,

I would like to start working on a NIO based version of the connection
manager sometime in the coming days / weeks. A connection manager
implementation for non-blocking HTTP connections can be potentially
useful for both Synapse and LimeWire, and probably other projects as
well. Essentially an NIO based connection manager implementation is the
only missing piece of functionality preventing us from developing a
full-blown asynchronous version of HttpClient.

There is a few points, however, I would like to discuss with the HC
community before I go ahead with these plans

(1) First off, are there any objections to developing an NIO connection
manager within HC?

(2) If there are no objection to hosting this code here, shall NIO based
client-side components be developed as a project distinct from
traditional HttpClient with a separate release cycle, probably even
starting with the release version 1.0, or shall we develop it as a
module of HttpClient sharing the same release cycle?

(3) Anyone interested in getting involved in the early stages of
development and helping me define the API and the component architecture
for the NIO connection manager?

Please do share your thoughts!

Oleg