hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [discuss] pure Java and cross-platform?
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2008 17:59:38 GMT

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 00:17 +0000, sebb wrote:
> On 09/03/2008, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >  On Sun, 2008-03-09 at 18:55 +0000, sebb wrote:
> >  > On 09/03/2008, Roland Weber <ossfwot@dubioso.net> wrote:
> >  > > Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> >  > >  >
> >  > >  > Roland
> >  > >  > Honestly, I really think this whole native code thing is not as
bad as
> >  > >  > it may seem.
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  > > It sure makes my spider-sense tingle like mad.
> >  > >
> >  >
> >  > I feel uncomfortable too.
> >  >
> >  > Who is going to build and test the code?
> >  >
> >  > Or is the code only going to be released as source?
> >

> > Yes, source code only, unsupported, as is, no releases, no guarantees of
> >  what so ever.
>
> So why bother?

The same reasons we provide all our 'contrib': (1) help solve
_real-world_ problems that cannot be addressed by official releases (2)
help foster a larger ecology around our code (3) help ensure some day
someone may be find this code useful enough to start a full blown
project, like Not-Yet-Commons SSL, based on that code.

>  It could just be posted anywhere, with a link from the
> Wiki for those who wanted to use it.

Where?

> >  > If so, will there be any checks to see if the code compiles?
> >  >

> > Same checks we have for unsupported code now, that is, no automatic
> >  checks.
> >

> >  > What about build scripts?
> >  > What compilers will be permitted?
> >  >

> > Why should we preclude any compilers?
> >

> Because not all compilers are freely available.

Not all operating systems we support are freely available as well. Shall
we discontinue our support for all commercial software?

> >  > The current discussion is only about Windows.
> >  > If we decide to allow JNI code, what other platforms will need to be supported?
> >

> > If there is ever Windows integrated authentication for other platforms,
> >  I do not see a problem accepting that code into the 'contrib' package as
> >  well.
> >

> Although prompted by the Windows NTLM issue, I thought this discussion
> was about more than just authentication.

As far as I am concerned this discussion is about _one_ thing and one
thing only: turning away contributors and turning down potentially
useful contributions due to some personal (mis)conceptions.

Oleg