hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [discuss] pure Java and cross-platform?
Date Sun, 09 Mar 2008 17:01:02 GMT

On Sun, 2008-03-09 at 17:36 +0100, Roland Weber wrote:
> Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> >> Who is going to review that code before it gets committed?
> >
> > I can volunteer if needed
>
> OK.
>
> >> Who is going to make sure it doesn't get broken by changes?
> >
> > Whoever makes changes to that code.
>
> So either you are reasonably sure that changes in HttpAuth
> will never affect that code,

I am reasonably sure about that. I believe it should be feasible to wrap
all JNI calls into a custom CredentialsProvider implementation and just
provide an extended Credentials interface that can optionally produce a
hash value instead of a username/password pair. As long as those two
interfaces do not change no one should _ever_ worry about some platform
specific CredentialsProvider impl residing in the contrib package.

Roland
Honestly, I really think this whole native code thing is not as bad as
it may seem.

Cheers

Oleg