hc-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject HttpComponents PMC Report February 2008
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:02:52 GMT
Status Report for the Apache HttpComponents project, February 2008
[monthly reporting schedule through February, we will switch to the
quarterly reporting schedule from now on]

-- Status --

There are no items needing immediate attention of the board though it is
worth to note that we had one release since the last report in
January and
that we are eagerly working on the crypto export requirements as well as
finalizing our own project bylaws. See below for more details.

-- Releases --

We have had one release since last report:

   24 January 2008 - HttpComponents HttpCore 4.0 beta 1

-- Community --

No arrivals or departures.

As soon as the remaining tasks from the TLP migration are completed, we
will probably be able to dedicate some effort to the improvement of our
entry level documentation.

Also, Google Android has been updated from HttpClient 3.1 to 4.0 alpha
which will hopefully give the new codebase additional visibility and
perhaps attract some more contributors.

-- Migration --

Items done:

     - moved old wiki including relevant content to new one
       http://wiki.apache.org/HttpComponents/
     - adjusted links on main website to point to the new wiki
     - drafted and approved project charter
       http://hc.apache.org/charter.html
     - drafted project bylaws
       http://hc.apache.org/bylaws.html

Items still in work:

     - finalize and approve project bylaws
     - re-instate deployment of website via Subversion
       (currently deployed by Maven due to TLP migration)

-- Development --

HttpCore beta1 has been released. We already have a few minor and
compatible
modifications in the queue for the next beta. We are receiving a lot
of input
for module-nio, both suggestions and patches for extensions,
especially from
the Limewire developers.

HttpClient alpha3 will be released shortly. A new module has been
added to
provide multipart support based on mime4j from the Apache James project.
It's dragging in a few additional dependencies, but is also way
better than
maintaining duplicate functionality. The problem of NTLM support is
still
open, and augmented by the lack of developer cycles. We will probably
end
up with a solution based on the existing code with NTLMv1 support only.
We are aware that a potential usage of JCIFS (which is licensed under
the
LGPL) would violate the ASFs Third-Party Licensing Policy and are
therefore
not planning anymore on using it.

classification
and notification requirements for each project, we've identified the
relevant
code parts:

     a) HttpCore 4.x
        Java Secure Socket Extension (JSSE) for HTTPS support

     b) HttpClient 4.x
        Java Secure Socket Extension (JSSE) for HTTPS support

     c) HttpClient 2.x / 3.x
        Java Secure Socket Extension (JSSE) for HTTPS support
        Java Cryptography Extension (JCE) for NTLM authentication

We will update the ASF Product Classification Matrix today and send
out the
required notifications as soon as the changes are published.