hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: Java 5 tags and indentation
Date Sun, 03 Feb 2008 15:52:52 GMT
Hi Sebastian,

> No problem; they've all been fixed now.

Thanks.

> While I was scanning the code for the problems I'd introduced, I
> noticed that there are quite a few tabs in the http-core code (which
> is not 1.5, so I did not add @Override).
>
> Is it worth me fixing these? I'm happy to do so.

Yes, please.

> Maybe there should be a "no tabs" policy?

I thought we had one, inherited from Jakarta [1] which points
to Sun coding conventions [2]. Which indeed is not the case,
Sun cc only require that tabs be set to 8 spaces.
I configured my editor to no-tabs years ago, and I haven't
noticed tabs in Oleg's contributions yet. Maybe the tabs got
in by one of the infrequent contributors.

[1] http://jakarta.apache.org/site/source.html
[2] http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConventions.doc3.html#262

> Might be useful to have a section in the
> http://hc.apache.org/dev-docs.html page about coding conventions. Or
> maybe on the Wiki.

Definitely. Wiki, with a link from dev-docs. I'll put it
on my ever-growing todo list. I want to create a page that
explains how to submit patches, the no-tabs rule and other
formatting stuff can be mentioned or linked from there.

cheers,
  Roland